We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
During summertime in Florida, I drive by many of my neighbors’ homes and see their beautiful trees full of ripe mangos ready to pick—and I get a major case of mango tree envy.
So I experimented with starting my own trees from seed. After trying a few different methods, I’ve found what I believe to be the most effective method.
Choosing the Best Mango
There are over 25 different types of mango, so I recommend tasting as many varieties as possible. When you find the ones you like best, you can choose those to sprout seeds from.
How to Sprout a Mango From Seed
- Once you've eaten your mango, you're going to want to clean as much of the remaining fiber and pulp from the seed. A little bit of fiber remaining is okay.
- Then let the mango seed dry out a bit (for about a day and a half).
- Remove the hard woody outer shell from the seed. If you look at the side of the seed, you will see a ridge. Sticking a knife into this ridge and prying the two halves apart is the easiest way to remove the outer shell. Be careful!
- One side of the mango seed core will be more rounded than the other. Place the seed, rounded side up, in a dish of water. The dish should be placed on a windowsill in a warm, sunny place.
- Leave the seed in the water until it starts to sprout. This can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks.
- When the seed has sprouted, plant the mango seed in a peat pot until it grows strong enough to be transplanted outdoors.
lydia on August 19, 2020:
do I completely cover the seed in water. How much water?
Jill on May 28, 2020:
Wish me luck, I have just put my mango seed into its bowl of water. The weather here in the UK is very warm at the mo, so I’m hoping this will help. I found your instructions very helpful, thank youAnita.
JAXONNYC32 on September 15, 2019:
I've Started A Mango Tree From The Actual Seed. I Got Mine To Sprout A Different Way.
I Cleaned The Hard Outer Shell, Then Used A Sharp Knife To Pry The Outer Shell Be Very Careful. Once I Got To The Actual Seed. Then I Took A Paper Towel, Wet It Not Soggy. Wrapped The Actual Seed In The Wet Paper Towel. Placed The Seed That's Wrapped In The Paper Towel Place Into A Zip Loc Bag. DO NOT SEAL THE BAG COMPLETELY. Date The Bag & Name Of The Seed Inside. Place In A Dark Cabinet Check The Seed & The Paper Towel Every 2-3 Days. DO NOT LET THE PAPER TOWEL DRY OUT. I Also Placed An ALARM & DATE On My CELLPHONE SO I DIDN'T FORGET TO CHECK THE PAPER TOWEL. Do This Until The Seed Starts To Sprout. It Took From Aug. 30, 2019-Sept. 15, 2019. For My Seeds To Sprout & Reach 3‟ In Length. Let The Seeds Sprout Reach 2‟-3‟ In Length.
I Planted Two (2) SEEDS In A 10‟ Pot.
This Is An Additional Method To Sprout Mango Seeds. This Is The First Time I've Sprouted Mango Seeds!
lady rain from Australia on August 05, 2012:
Great information on sprouting the mango seed. I have tried breaking the hard shell before but it still took a long time to grow.
KerryAnita (author) from Satellite Beach, Florida on August 04, 2012:
Thanks for the comment! Glad you found it helpful!
toomuchmint on August 04, 2012:
wow! Thanks for the detailed instructions. It's not as easy as eating the mango and dropping the seed into a pot. Thanks for sharing! Voted up and interesting.